Eco-friendly metal straws have been all the rage after several US states enacted bans against single-use plastic straws, but a tragedy in the UK might have some consumers thinking twice. According to The Daily Echo, Elena Struthers-Gardner, a 60-year-old retired jockey known as “Lena,” suffered a fatal brain injury after she tripped and fell on a metal straw, which pierced her brain at her home in Broadstone, England. Struthers-Gardner was carrying a mason-jar-style drinking glass with a screw-top when she stumbled while holding the beverage container, causing the 10-inch stainless-steel straw to go through her left eye socket and ultimately into her brain, according to the report. According to The Daily Echo, the death of Struthers-Gardner prompted a coroner warning “that metal drinking straws should never be used with a lid that fixes them in place, and ‘great care should be taken’ while using them.” Metal drinking straws have started popping up in stores and restaurants around the world following reports that single-use plastic straws are not only incapable of being recycled because of their small size, but are also especially perilous to s...